The Importance of Mulching
A newly planted tree’s best friend is mulch. It is very important to remember to mulch your tree after you have planted it.
Mulch is valuable for your trees’ health and care because
- Mulch insulates the soil helping to provide a buffer from heat and cold temperatures.
- Mulch retains water helping to keep the roots moist.
- Mulch keeps weeds out to help prevent root competition.
- Mulch prevents soil compaction.
- Mulch reduces lawn mower damage.
Steps to Adding Mulch Around Your Tree
- Add mulch to the base of your tree by removing any grass within a 3 to 10 foot area depending on the size of your tree.
- Pour natural mulch such as wood chips or bark pieces 2 to 4 inches deep within the circle.
- Keep the mulch from touching the trunk of the tree.